Email Call Us

Company History

Bulwell Precision Engineers was founded by Leonard Sedgwick in 1956 and was originally located in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, U.K.  Predominantly a general purpose engineering business, manufacturing a wide range of components and small assemblies for a number of customers in the UK.  Expansion of the business in the 1960s saw the need for new premises and two parcels of land were purchased in Pinxton, Nottinghamshire when the Brookhill Colliery closed in the early 1970s.

By the late 1960s, Bulwell was active in the aerospace industry and supplying to Rolls-Royce aero-engines.  The Rolls-Royce crash, and nationalisation in 1971, hit the business hard and some of the land was disposed of which is now the site for BAS Castings.  Growth followed this difficult time and by the early 1980s the site was extended to accommodate this growth.  This extension of the site continued with the formation of the MPS joint venture and the relocation of the NDT business, LMD, from Bulwell.

During the 1990s, Mr Sedgwick looked to diversify the customer base and in 1994 the Swift and Wass engineering business of Nottingham was acquired.  This business supplied BAE Systems with airframe assemblies and machined components.  It was renamed Manor Engineering and relocated to the Pinxton site.  Further investments in the site continued in the late 1990s with the acquisition of the Apollo Plastics factory.

The business was acquired by the Nasmyth Group in 2003 and Mr Sedgwick, who had been ill during the selling process, died before the sale could be completed.

Nasmyth has continued the development of the business with investment in the latest technology, machines and a major site refurbishment programme.  The Pinxton site is currently the location of three Nasmyth Group businesses: Bulwell Precision Engineers, MPS and GEB.